Frequently Asked Questions About Our Polices and Delivery

What is the refund policy?
There are no refunds. Exchanges within 7 days, with receipt unused and in the original package. Custom extensions are final sale.

What is the down payment policy?
Our custom extensions require a 60% cash deposit before your order can be placed and before the pick up or delivery, your balance has to be paid in full. Production can take 3 weeks or more to produce no matter how small or large the order is. Orders can not be modified once it has been submitted. Prices are subject to change at anytime.

When will my order be delivered?
If you pay in full when you order your shipment will be delivered to you immediately after it is produced. If you pay 60% upon ordering you will have to pay the other 40% before we ship out your merchandise.

Do the customers have to pay for the shipping?
Shipping has to be paid by the customer which is additional from the product cost. The cost will vary depending on where you live and the size of your shipment. Shipping costs will be added to your invoice during checkout. To avoid shipping cost customer pick ups can be arranged during business hours.